Ceramic Frieze was created in 1980 by Henk Tieman (1921-2001) for the Biotechnion building on De Dreijen campus. It consists of grey, hand-formed tiles, some of which are thicker and with a different profile than the rest, causing them to protrude from the base. The ceramic was made by the Delft earthenware factory De Porceleyne Fles, where Tieman worked for years. This monumental work of art was integrated into the architecture of the Biotechnion building. During the demolition of the building, it was not possible to remove all sixteen panels without damaging them. Jan van IJzendoorn was therefore commissioned to design six panels that did justice to the original idea: the transition from simplicity to complexity. The panels were encased in rusty COR-TEN steel and relocated to the west side of the campus. Together these objects form two slightly offset braces that create an orthographic perspective.
More info at: WUR Image Collections