Fugue is the Latin word for flight, but in this case refers to the musical term denoting polyphonic music in which a theme constantly appears and disappears. Ubbo Scheffer (1925-1998) expressed this through two converging L-shapes, one in wood and the other in stone. Scheffer’s talent was two-fold: in addition to sculpting, he also had a passion for music; a passion reflected in his sculptures and one he shared with his cousin Marten Scheffer, professor of Aquatic Ecology at Wageningen University. The statue was originally located outside De Dreijenborch building on Ritzema Boschweg. It can now be found outside the Lumen building on Droevendaalsesteeg.
More info at: WUR Image Collections