Sculptor and painter Hans Ittmann (Waalwijk, 1914 – Amsterdam, 1972) was a member of several artists’ associations and his work can be found throughout the Netherlands. After studying art in Paris, he spent a year working with the artist Ossip Zadkine. His style developed from figurative to abstract, as can be seen with this black shape resting atop a white concrete base.
The artist called this work Triangular Statue, which is quite a fluid description of the shape. It resembles a gesturing three-fingered hand. The statue was originally installed in 1960 at the entrance of the new Dreijenborch building at Ritzema Bosweg 32A, which was formerly the Department of Agronomy. The work has since been relocated to the lawn between Atlas and Orion.
More info at: WUR Image Collections